Thursday, December 03, 2015

La Risata, Because I Was Thick Skinned Enough To Hint

I've known the LaRisata owners when probably most of today's generation of food bloggers weren't even born, so yes, we go back a lonnngggg way, and I've had many good memories eating there, including birthday celebrations, high school reunions...one common factor with all those times I've been at LaRisata, be it Ampang or Medan Damansara, is I've never left the place sober.  Which is always a good sign that I had a great time.....

Anyway, a few weeks ago, Lissa posted on her facebook the meal she was having at LaRisata, and it looked so good, apparently a special menu, (I envy these gals, a whole slew of kitchen staff at their disposal, can whip up anything they fancy, and yet remain so slim), so I decided to play the "old friend" card and shamelessly but subtlely solicited an invite.  Actually it's just a veiled excuse to meet up with old friends....



What an honour it was to dine with the owners themselves (Ravenous Rabbit was missing, sadly), with great food and great company.....it pays to be thick skinned I tell you.

Pizza Mozarella Affumicata In Casa - Homemade smoked mozarella with anchovies...on a lovely thin crust ...Simplicity at it's best... the saltiness of the anchovies provided the main source of salt, whilst the other stuff balanced it out.  (this is on the specials menu)

The younger generation had Spaghetti Bolognaise...which I didn't try, but looked darn good....(regular menu)


...and a seafood saffron risotto, which I did try...and was great.  Despite not being a risotto fan, (I like my rice fluffy and light, like in a good Yong Chow Chow Fun)... I enjoyed my spoonful of this.  The flavours of the saffron lent it an aroma that was quite special, and I was thinking, wow, the young people of today certainly know how to eat.  (regular menu)

LaRisata's pizzas are really quite famous, and it's not hard to see why. This lovely unique Smoked Wagyu Beef Carpaccio Pizza with truffle oil is a luxury pizza (regular menu, RM60).  Tender slices of smoked carpaccio, melt in the mouth pizza...

Tonno Pinna Blu Alla Griglia con Gnocchi Nero diSepia - Pan Seared blue fin tuna with squid ink gnocchi and lemon butter sauce...OH MY...That squid ink gnocchi is so so good.  Some gnocchis can be a bit too carby, and stodgy, but don't knocky this one!! (special menu)

Pear and Gorgonzola Pizza....I feel like having one right now...arrrghhh....the perils of writing at lunch time on an empty stomach. One half is that, and the other half is porcini mushrooms... All my favourite ingredients.  (Regular menu)....


Pan Roasted Duck Breast with Celeriac Puree and Au Jus...(special menu)...succulent, decadent breasts, swimming in a most flavourful reduction of sorts, skin roasted to perfection....It's almost like a wagyu cow masquerading as a duck...And I learnt that you can use celery and mash as a cheaper alternative to Celeriac... (though this was the real thing)....

A 1kg grilled Prime Rib with Roasted Vegetables and Au Jus, which although the menu says can feed 2-3 I reckon it can feed 4-5...I've run out of superlative adjectives by now, suffice to say. this bovine paradise of a dish ....well, if you like steaks and beef, you'll absolutely love this dish.  I always reckon good beef needn't be embellished too much with sauces etc...just the sheer goodness of meat is sufficient.  This is one such case.  Like a naturally gorgeous woman without makeup or embellishment.

The Fig and Pecan Tart is to die for, seriously.  Absolutely divine, and so unique.  So much so I felt compelled to try to replicate it at home, it's sooo good.  But in order not to be too plagiaristic, I added dates to mine.  I would like to have another slice of this please.


Tiramisu - Their signature dessert, ...good, but tiramisu is tiramisu, nuff said....

Ah, this was great, flourless orange cake,with that glorious grainy texture, and just the right sweetness....As a hobby baker, I know for a fact it's not easy to achieve a right balance when it comes to these flourless cakes... so this was superb in my books.


Thanks Yuen & Lissa for a night of great food and great company....

LOOK OUT FOR THE SEQUEL, the Christmas dinner menu


Address: 128, Jalan Kasah, Medan Damansara, 50490 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur
Phone:03-2095 9572

No comments: