Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Muesli Made At Home

I always thought MUESLI was a kind of grain, and assumed there must be a muesli plant growing somewhere. Of course, that's just plain stupid, since I now know that there aren't such things as muesli plants any more than there are spaghetti trees. Straps there are, but not trees.

An old friend of mine, this Tai Tai, whom we shall call KTT for short, one day surprised us all by producing the most lovely homemade muesli ever. She lovingly made it for the man who brought home the proverbial bacon, and rightfully so too, if I had someone who brought home the bacon, I'd gladly make him ...or her...any cereal I can possibly conjure.

The years passed, and I doubt this fad lasted very long, as do all fads, in tai tai dom. It's precious stones one day and soup kitchens the next, to placate the hungry soul. Like the Dead Sea Scrolls, I also lost the recipe that KTT gave me. I never really thought I'd have use for it actually; but who knew, my baby girl who once was a baby, is now a teenager, and of course, is going through that health conscious calorie counting phase.....phwah, and boy, are cereals expensive! Especially MUESLI.

Thank goodness for the internet these days, that infinite fountain of wisdom and resource. Google muesli, and muesli recipe apears...just like when I googled "how did they..." and the suggestions were "how did they make captain america thin". Which oddly enough, WAS the topic I was researching.

Photobucket
The raw stuff, consisting
5 cups rolled oats (as opposed to unrolled)
1 cup chopped almonds
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup honey
1 cup pumpkin seeds
and basically any other stuff that may tickle your fancy. There is no hard and fast rule for muesli, much like dating.
Toss everything (I did this in a large bowl, since tossing can be messy), making sure everything is coated with the honey...its not so much for the sweetness, but for the caramelized crunch after baking.

Photobucket
Bake at 150-160C for about 30 minutes. But, you gotta toss the thing every 8 minutes or so, so that it doesn't stick. Now if you want muesli bars, it'll be a different story.

Photobucket

Finally, when the muesli is cooled, you can add in your dried fruit, before storing in an airtight container. As you can see, I added dried apricots and raisins.

Drat, actually, after adding up the cost, I might have saved a princely sum of RM5, for the same amount of commercial muesli. Oh well, I do it for love.

8 comments:

Paranoid Android said...

I couldn't give a toss about muesli until you had me gawking at pictures of you tossing. Now I want to be a posh tosser like you.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

luckily the wife eats oats only, not muesli then again, i think i might just buy the muesli off the shelf haha

Ciki said...

saved only 5 bucks are...faint. U know I won't be making my own anytime soon anyway :P haha

fatboybakes said...

ciki, you lazy girl. didnt your fudder teach you that a penny earned is a penny saved.

fatboybakes said...

nipples, how are ya mate? aiya, in oz all these gwai lou things are very cheap mah. some more you earning the might AUD$

fatboybakes said...

PA, posh tosser? guffaw.... dont PUN-ish me laidat la.

SRJ said...

i should try this out!

Enqvist said...

this is extremely healthy meal, good for breakfast.



Taste...iest