Friday, February 12, 2010

Chinese New Year Again

Finally, my brilliant writing skills have paid off, when I entered the slogan contest in the Queen's blog, awhile back. Of course, I also entered a similar competition in the other Queen's blog, but didn't even get a sniff at the prize.

Today, JUST IN TIME FOR ME TO COOK MY REUNION DINNER, via that wonderful Fed Ex, I received my prize.


And as we approach yet the turn of another Lunar Year, a time for reflection, and making of New Year resolutions, afterall, we are chinks, so we follow the Lunar Year, and not that Auld Lang Syne singing at the stroke of midnight, I can only feel an inordinate sense of gratitude that I am not from China.


As in, I myself am not from China, because my ancestors, hundreds of years ago, had the good sense to become "Pendatangs" in this wonderful Tanah Pusaka. Let the bones be white, but eyes cannot white. Why am I grateful I am not from China? Look at the chaos!


I am sure if I was living in China, I'd ahem, be working in the big cities, like Beijing or Shanghai, afterall, I am a city boy, and one can't expect me to be holed up in my little ancestral village in Hainan Dou. Heck, I could be that guy in the queue, waiting for my train, and ferry (Hainan is an island) to balik kampung.

Instead, here I am, in Bangsar, the nearest Village being the shopping mall 100m away, and about to go home without having to queue in long queues. Lihatlah dunia!!!!

Thank you my beloved country. (Malaysia laaahhhhh).

And wishing everyone a happy chinese lunar new year, regardless of whether you celebrate or not. Oh, and as for angpows, if you are my friend or acquaintance, and fulfill these THREE criteria, do drop by and collect yours. The criteria are:

1. Unmarried
2. Unemployed
3. Untainted

GONG XI FA CAI

16 comments:

Precious Pea said...

Gong Xi Fa Cai to you and your family!!

Sean said...

hey, our ancestors came from the same island. our great-grandparents could have been neighbors; i can imagine my family sniffing enviously while your great-grandfather was baking banana mousse cakes in his hut.
have a grrrrrreat cny with your family and loved ones (yes, yes, i'm resorting to this year's stale tiger puns). i won't bother you for angpows since i'm both employed and tainted. =)

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

ur 3 conditions are basically wat your friends arent la...

tainted is so oh subjective i must say..haha

happy CNY to u, bee and the brood!

J said...

*still doesn't quite agree with the 3rd criteria!*

Happy CNY to you and B and all the your cute little Ang Pow magnets. :)

(OMG. That photo is SCARY...)

HairyBerry said...

Woah, got that putih tulang/mata song! I can think of many words that rhyme with pusaka but lets keep negativities in the empty beer cans this festive season la, ya. Hehehe.

Congrats on Kylie! And here's wishing you a roaring new year!

Rebecca Saw said...

Gong Hei Gong Hei!!

I dont want ang pow. I want CAKE!

qwazymonkey said...

Ah Pa, Gong Hei Fatt Choy! Man Xi Yuen Yi, Bake Cake Hou Sek...

My Cookbook just arrived today too! Yay

Kenny Mah said...

Methinks I just need to quit my job for the duration of CNY to be eligible, since I'm (obviously):

1. Unmarried
3. Untainted

Ahem. :D

ToyGirl said...

Gong xi gong xi! I agree with TNG. No need ang paus lah. Your cakes are a much better substitute. can't wait for the next slice since I couldn't eat the durian one. :p

Yours Truly said...

Happy Chinese New Year!

Tummythoz said...

M a proud pendatang too but seriously doubt great grandpa came to sell body .. Hapi CNY!

Ciki said...

Gong Xi Fa Cai ahpa!!!! xoxo

thule a.k.a leo said...

Gong Xi Fa Cai dude!! Your criteria made it almost impossible to wish you "gong xi fa cai" la... lol!!! Except for the kids I assume...

Anyway, never forget the roots where we come from. My dad still keep in touch with our relatives from the Mainland China

fatboybakes said...

thule, hahah, actually, honestly, as far as i'm concerned, my roots are here la. i cant speak mandarin to save my life....

ahciki ah, GXFC. dont forget the angpows.

tummythoz, hahahahahaha!!!!

fatboybakes said...

yours truly, same to you, gongxi gongxi.

toygirl, aww, you too kind. actually angpows are easier and cheaper.

LFB....i'm truly and utterly speechless.

fatboybakes said...

monkeyboy, i eagerly await to taste your culinary offerings.

TNG, cake?

hairy berry, what rhymes with pusaka? celaka ah? melaka? thamby says tigers dont roar wor, they meow.

J, scary meh the photo? yeah, kylie can look a bit scary at times. especially when she's caramelizing.