Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Almost Flourless Carrot Cake


I saw this recipe in masak masak's blog, and felt compelled to try it immediately, because it sounded reminiscent of a carrot cake I had in Australia years ago that was made by a friend, Shiew Ling, that was very very nice. Very carroty.

I won't regurgitate the recipe here, as you can get it from the above link. Now, for the one I made (you can see my photography is nowhere near to Masak Masak's pictures, which are always brilliant), my first bite into the cake, and I thought, "oh my goodness, this tastes too almondy". You know how almond has a very distinct taste, like almond jelly (hung ngun tau foo), and you either like it or hate it in a very durian-esque way. Hence, I wasn't sure if Masak Masak meant use more walnut or almond.

But, oddly enough, after the initial shock, this cake kinda grows on you. Firstly, it is oil-less, virtually flourless, and exceedingly healthy sounding. Hence my curiosity, how can such a cake be moist. It was moist. From the carrots, apparently. I guess you could un-healthirize it by smearing cream cheese frosting over it.....

7 comments:

boo_licious said...

Aiyah, yrs looks very good also mah. In fact yrs looks like a carrot cake while mine looks like a sponge cake pretending to be a carrot cake.

Yeah it's very almondy since it has 250grams of the stuff replacing the flour. Uses the same principles as the flourless celementine cake Nigella makes.

fatboybakes said...

haha, i like your description, (abt sponge pretending to be carrot)but somehow mine looked better in picture than in real life. maybe the flash enhanced the carrot colors.

yar, i use almond meal for flourless choc cakes too, but there is no almondy taste there. drowned by chocs i guess. thanks again for your recipe.

boo_licious said...

yet to try flourless cake with choc, only made the orange cake that resembles the one they serve at Delicious.

fatboybakes said...

oh, i tried a flourless almond orange cake before...it was disgusting. must be lousy recipe. was yours any good? daimaru in melbourne used to sell this divine flourless lemon cake...sigh, wasn't into baking yet those days,so didn't pay attention. could have tried some reverse engineering if it was still avail.

Flower said...

I make carrot cupcake last monday for my son's kindy. I'm using different recipe. The normal one with flour. And the teachers there asked me to make more. A good way to get to know them, dont you think.

fatboybakes said...

hi flower, yar, the usual carrot cake recipes abound everywhere, in fact, my wife makes good normal carrot cake. oh, we also found out that adding prunes makes it exceedingly moist. (in place of raisins).

Flower said...

My recipe comes from Table Magazine. This recipe used the normal ingredient plus 1 cup of chopped pineaple from a can. Easy enough for me.